Twitter Pinterest Instagram Facebook RSS BlogLovin' Peace & Carrots Peace & Carrots Home About Me Contact Me Homeschooling Books Recipes Image Map

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Spring Planning


I was reminded yesterday of why I like daffodils so much. It's the middle of February, complete with cold weather and brown trees, but those brave little daffodils are starting to come up - we even saw some blooming! Yay! It's like they are the poster-flower for the hope of spring.

This time of year, when it's still cold outside but visible signs of spring are appearing, my thoughts always turn to home improvement. I'm not sure why that is, but contemplating plans for the spring and summer months sure helps with the February blahs!

This year the planning will be a bit different, since we're in the midst of a Total Money Makeover, but there are still some things I'd like to do. I'd like to grow some vegetables this year. Not a full garden, because I can never keep up with one when it gets super-hot outside. I'd like to grow tomatoes, zucchini, and maybe some cantaloupe. Maybe some pumpkins for the fall. Nothing too major, and nothing I'll feel guilty about not weeding when summer comes and it's roughly 150 degrees outside.

I think I'm going to try starting my veggies from seed, which I haven't done since I was a kid. I've got a perfect spot on top of the dryer for one of those trays for starting seeds. It's right near a sunny window, but in a no-cat zone, so they won't eat my plants. I may even try to start some flowers for my front garden.

In addition to the gardening, I'd love to build a sandbox for Wendy this spring. We've got plenty of room in the fenced-in part of the backyard. There's even a shade tree we could put it under. I'd want it to be plenty big and plenty deep, so that she'd continue to enjoy it for several years. I'd also want to figure out an outside toybox, to stow away her sandy toys. A big sandbox in the shade, a comfy chair for Momma in the shade (complete with a book and iced tea, of course), and I think we'd be set for fun times!

I'm ready for spring - how 'bout you?

No comments: