Twitter Pinterest Instagram Facebook RSS BlogLovin' Peace & Carrots Peace & Carrots Home About Me Contact Me Homeschooling Books Recipes Image Map

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Same Song, Second Verse...

Wendy spent the night at her Grandma & Grandpa's house, so that poor, sick Mama (that's me) could get some sleep. I went over to their house this morning to help them with a few things and pick up Wendy.

At about noon, I was on my knees scrubbing their upstairs toilet bowl, when I heard her screech and then start crying. Not fussing, but really serious crying. In between sobs she was saying, "More Mama!" I quickly washed my hands (duh) and took her from her Grandpa, and I knew right away what was wrong.

See, back in February, we had to make a little trip to the ER. Wendy had dislocated her elbow, and after a short wait, some radiographs, and about $600, she was fine. We were warned that this could very easily happen again, and we've been very careful since then not to lift her by the hands or anything like that. And then, in an instant, out popped her elbow again.

We made it almost seven months, so I guess that's good.

This time it happened during office hours, and I'm SO grateful to our pediatrician for fitting us in, so that we didn't have to return to the ER. That saved us about $580, so thanks!!

I did think it was a little ironic that Wendy's elbow was back in place by the time we saw the doctor - getting her out of the car seat was enough manipulation for it to slip back into place. If this happens again, maybe I'll just strap her into the car seat & then take her back out, and see if that helps!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh no! Poor little thing. And poor little you, too.

"Intentionally Katie" said...

Oh man, this happened to me when my son was 1. I heard at the time that it was pretty common, but I felt HORRIBLE that I had encouraged the mishap by lifting him by his arm to help him down the curb into the parking lot and popped it out of place. This happened to my friend's daughter so many times that the doctor actually taught her how to pop it back into place. Can you say EWWW?? That gives me the heebie geebies just thinking about it...

carrie said...

Poor Wendy! I am glad it was cheaper.

Mrs. Brownstone @ XBOX Wife said...

Ohhh! That happened to us to when our kids was three. It happened twice just a few months apart like Wendy! I hope she'll feel better soon.

Unknown said...

I read about this recently. So often we swing kids by their hands! I try to be careful and only lift LB under her arms.

Hope Wendy is feeling better! (And you too!)

Anonymous said...

This happened to our youngest, and just like you said, I remember trying to figure out how to get the carseat/seatbelt figured out without hurting her more. Same as you, by the time we got to the Dr, her arm had popped back in. No more swinging her from her arms...totally my fault.