Twitter Pinterest Instagram Facebook RSS BlogLovin' Peace & Carrots Peace & Carrots Home About Me Contact Me Homeschooling Books Recipes Image Map

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Scalloped Potatoes

Tonight I mentioned on Twitter that I was making scalloped potatoes for dinner, and Ann asked for the recipe. It's been awhile since I posted a recipe, and I don't have anything else enlightening to say, so here goes!

I'm pretty sure this "recipe" originated with my mom's family. It's not something I make following strict instructions; it's one of those things you just kind of...make. But I'll do my best in trying to get a follow-able recipe down for you!

Scalloped Potatoes
6-8 medium potatoes, well-scrubbed & diced (peeling optional)
12-16 oz. package of bacon
3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
2 1/2 cups milk
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 9x13 casserole dish with cooking spray. Boil potatoes until fork-tender (10 min or so); drain & dump into casserole dish.

While potatoes are cooking, cut bacon into 1-inch pieces - kitchen shears are the easiest way to do it. Cook in a skillet over medium heat until done. Remove bacon to drain, and reserve 3-4 Tbsp bacon grease; pour the rest of the grease into a separate container for later use. Once bacon has drained, sprinkle over the top of the potatoes in the casserole dish, tossing lightly to combine.

In bacon skillet, with reserved grease, add flour & stir over medium heat until lightly browned. Add milk & whisk well to combine. Cook & stir until thickened & bubbly. Pour evenly over potatoes & bacon in casserole dish. Sprinkle with 1 cup (or more!) of Parmesan cheese.

Bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes, or until cheese is toasted & sauce is bubbly. Let cool for 5 minutes, and enjoy!!

No comments: