Twitter Pinterest Instagram Facebook RSS BlogLovin' Peace & Carrots Peace & Carrots Home About Me Contact Me Homeschooling Books Recipes Image Map

Friday, January 8, 2010

Family Friday: Focusing on Family

As a family, one of our priorities this year is to focus more on quality time with each other. We're trying to get away from passive things like watching movies together and aim towards more interactive things. (There's nothing wrong with watching movies together, but in our family, we tend to sit around and watch, and not talk, and really, we may as well be in different rooms for all the "quality" time that happens.)

Part of our strategy for making family time a priority is to set aside Friday night as Family Night. Our activities will be inexpensive out of necessity, and won't involve anything elaborate. Sometimes it will be just the four of us, and sometimes we will invite some of our extended family to join us.

Tonight, for example, my brother's family is coming over for dinner and a little Wii action. We'll talk over fried chicken, mashed potatoes, green beans, and pecan pie, and then we'll good-naturedly bash each other to pieces in Mario Kart.

I plan to make Fridays a time to write about family-focused activities; for my own sense of organization I'll call it Family Friday. If you'd like to join me in Family Friday, please let me know - I'd love to read other posts encouraging family time!

1 comment:

Nicki said...

That's a great goal. Part of my reason for quitting my job was to spend more time with Jerry. The stress of working there was hard on me and affecting our marriage. We love game nights but have not done any in a long time. Although we don't have any family here we are starting a new "game night" tradition with friends. Good clean, cheap fun!