Twitter Pinterest Instagram Facebook RSS BlogLovin' Peace & Carrots Peace & Carrots Home About Me Contact Me Homeschooling Books Recipes Image Map

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

WFMW: Car "Emergency" Kit


This WFMW post is a little misleading - it's not something that currently works for me, but something that will work for me in the near future. I'm still getting it together. The idea came from several of you, who advocate keeping certain items in the car rather than weighing down a diaper bag with them.

I love this idea. I find satisfaction in being prepared for any eventuality - whether a true emergency, or an "emergency" consisting of hunger pangs on a too-long errand, or an impromptu stop at the park. I'm going to tweak this idea a bit to make it more workable for our family, and this is what I'm planning to include in the kit:

  • Complete set of playclothes for Wendy, size 3T. She currently wears 2T, so these will be a little bit, but I'd rather that then need the clothes & realize they're too small.
  • Extra socks & cheap pair of shoes for Wendy
  • 2 cloth diapers
  • Gallon-sized Ziploc bags - for transporting soiled/wet/icky clothes or other items
  • Band-aids, Neosporin, small pack of baby wipes
  • Shout wipes
  • Crayons & small coloring book
  • Goldfish & cereal bars
  • 2 juice boxes
  • Sunscreen & hat for Wendy
  • Lightweight jacket
  • Extra shirts for James and I, just in case...

All of this will be corralled in a plastic storage container with a lid, and will be stowed underneath the bench seat of the van, so it's always there and ready to go. I plan to keep it stocked as I use things, so that it's always ready to go. I'll just have to remember to change things a bit when it gets cold again, to be prepared for winter needs.

Can you think of anything I should add to my "emergency" kit?

An "emergency" car kit works for me...what works for you? For more great ideas, visit Rocks in my Dryer!

9 comments:

Sharon said...

Tylenol, tums, med for you and spouse. And a few for munchkin. A bottle of water. Hand sanitizer. a light blanket (think recieving blanket)

BexInTheCity said...

I was also going to suggest tylenol. LOL. I think water is a better idea than juice... given that it's going to be hot summer months. blankets are good for impromptu picnics, etc. travel size umbrella.

Nichole said...

These are great ideas! How about a $10 gift card to your favorite Mommy-treat establishment?

Allie said...

This is a great idea. I always pack something like this (but for me, hubby & dog) when we travel, but I like the idea of having it all the time.

Jeni said...

Y'all have some great ideas! I had thought about Tylenol, but wasn't sure if being stored in the heat of the van would make it less potent. It's small enough, I'll probably let it keep it's place in the diaper bag.

A picnic blanket is a good idea - what we actually use is a cheap vinyl tablecloth from Wal-Mart - it blocks any dampness from the ground.

Sarah Mae said...

Great idea - love it! Also, I am able to put my little ones to bed at 6:30 b/c my husband gets home at 4pm. I would keep them up longer too if he got home later. :)

Kimberly said...

Great suggestions! I would put water in there too. :)

Amanda said...

Excellent idea!! I'm stealing it in fact LOL ~ I would put a disposal camera - just in case you forget yours. That's something I've been thinking about keeping in the car. There's so many times I've gone somewhere and forgotten my camera, so I'm thinking about buying a disposable JUST IN CASE.

dreamingBIGdreams said...

wow that's a great idea!
maybe bug spray and suncreen (did you say that?)

i'll have to do this for the summer when we're always on the go!