Twitter Pinterest Instagram Facebook RSS BlogLovin' Peace & Carrots Peace & Carrots Home About Me Contact Me Homeschooling Books Recipes Image Map

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

WFMW: Cutting Bacon


I have an aversion to cutting up raw meat in any form. It's probably strange, but I think it reminds me too much of doing necropsies in vet school. Anytime a recipe calls for cutting strips of chicken breast or steak, I reverse the instructions and cook it first, then cut it.

That doesn't work so well for bacon. The other day, I needed some little pieces of bacon for something I was inventing (posted below), so I sighed and got out my cutting board and knife. Then I had a thought - I used my kitchen shears to open the package of bacon, so they were already all bacon-y. I wondered if they would cut through the bacon, so I gave them a try, and WOW! They worked great! I was able to cut little snips of bacon with no trouble, and saved myself about five minutes.

Cutting bacon with kitchen shears works for me! Head over to Rocks in my Dryer for more great hints!

And now for the recipe! Some notes - the spinach cooks down so much that one bag of the fresh leaves only makes two servings. Plan accordingly! Also, when I made it, I didn't add the frozen onion, and later wished I had, though what I made was good, too. I enjoy making up recipes in the kitchen, especially when they turn out yummy!

Wilted Spinach
2 Tbsp margarine or butter
4 slices bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
2 Tbsp frozen chopped onion
1 bag of fresh spinach leaves, washed & dried
2 Tbsp Caesar salad dressing

Melt margarine or butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add bacon and onion, and cook until bacon is done and onion is translucent. Add spinach leaves, turning gently to coat with butter mixture. Cook just until wilted, then remove to a paper towel on a plate to drain. Once drained, put in serving bowl & toss with Caesar salad dressing. Makes 2 servings.

7 comments:

Amy said...

My mom and I were just talking about wilted spinach over the weekend. I'm passing this recipe on to her.

Mrs.Naz@BecomingMe said...

Excellent idea and that recipe looks awesome

amyswandering said...

What a yummy recipe - thanks!

http://amyswandering.wordpress.com/

TexasTanya said...

I love kitchen shears! I use them all the time. I cut up pineapple spears with them. Cooked meat (chicken, pork, and beef) into bite size pieces for the kids. I use them when I make baked potatoes to cut a slit and then to break up the inside of the potato too.
I use them so often that I now own four pairs, so two pairs can be sanitized in the dishwasher, while the other two are still available for use.

marigold said...

I use my kitchen shears for bacon, too. Actually, I use them for chicken breasts (boneless), thin cut steak, pork chops, etc. They are great! That recipe sounds yummy, I've never put Caesar dressing in with my spinach before!

Nikki said...

You are so funny! I totally feel the same way about cutting up raw meat. I will have to try using my kitchen shears next time with the bacon. I too open the package with the kitchen shears anyway.

ttelroc said...

My mother taught me about using scissors for bacon, slthough I only just "remembered" it again a few years ago lol

The caution I have though, is to be aware of your fingers. Holding pieces of meat in your hands while cutting can casue some pretty nasty cuts. (How do I know this???)

Great tip - this is one of those tips that everyone should know about.