Twitter Pinterest Instagram Facebook RSS BlogLovin' Peace & Carrots Peace & Carrots Home About Me Contact Me Homeschooling Books Recipes Image Map

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

WFMW: Unisom for Morning Sickness

When I was pregnant with Wendy, I was sick. Around the clock, anytime, anywhere, the nauseousness would rear its ugly head. When we went for our first prenatal visit at 8 weeks, I had lost 12 pounds. The doctor recommended I take half of a regular Unisom tablet at bedtime, and see if that helped.

I was skeptical. A sleep aid? For morning sickness? But I tried it, and it really worked. It wasn't a magic pill - I still had quite a bit of nauseousness, but not the overwhelming, all-consuming, incapacitating illness that I felt prior to taking the Unisom.

At the time, I couldn't find any information online about taking Unisom for morning sickness. This time around, though, I was able to find this article. I'm only 6 weeks pregnant, but I'm already taking my half of a pill every night at bedtime, and I can already feel a difference. You can get generic Unisom at just about any grocery store or drug store.

If morning sickness is plaguing your life, talk to your doctor or pharmacist about giving Unisom a try. The only side effect I've noticed is a bit more drowsiness during the day, but the benefit of not being sick all the time is worth a little drowsiness!

For more helpful tips, visit Works-For-Me Wednesday at Rocks in my Dryer!

6 comments:

Carrie Brown said...

I used unisom at night with Collin..It definately helped me sleep at night..but I have to say I still had my zofran for breakfast!! Glad it is helping you!!
Cb

Grateful for Grace said...

My dh discovered an article online while I was pregnant with #4 and it made such a difference!! With #5 and #6 he made me start taking half a Unisom every night beginning the night we found out I was pregnant! ;-) I only threw up 2Xs with each of those pregnancies. A.maz.ing. I was sick all the time all day with the other pregnancies.
I tell all preggo women about it now. Good job putting it on WFMW!

Aubrey said...

I'm a family doctor who LOVES taking care of pregnant women - another medicine we add to help with nausea is actually vitamin B6, taken up to three times a day, which has also been proven to help with morning sickness. Of course, if these don't work, you can always talk to your doctor about something stronger, since no one wants you to be nauseated for months.

Awesome Mom said...

I have an online friend that is a midwife and she also recommended the B6 and Unisom. I thought she was nuts but now I am tempted to try it.

Unknown said...

I was just Googling (is that a word?) about the Unisom and B6. I called my doctor's office this morning due to my nonstop nausea and being sick.
Your post inspires me! Thank you so much for sharing :)

cure to morning sickness said...

Though those medicine was really great, I still don't want to expose my baby to any drugs as much as I can. But I still ask my practitioner which nausea medications she might recommend in case I needed it. It's good to ask for some advice before taking any drugs just for the sake of your baby.