Twitter Pinterest Instagram Facebook RSS BlogLovin' Peace & Carrots Peace & Carrots Home About Me Contact Me Homeschooling Books Recipes Image Map

Friday, December 11, 2009

Hi, Pot, my name is Kettle

It seems like every five or so years there is some sort of toy craze around Christmas time. When I was little, Cabbage Patch Dolls were all the rage, and desperate parents would fight over them in the stores. I remember the Tickle-Me Elmo, and most recently, the Wii game system. I always thought that parents who would go to such lengths to get toys for their children for Christmas were crazy.

But then...

...Wendy turned 3 years old. She became much more aware of things like Christmas trees, and presents, and Santa. SANTA!! She is so excited this year, and we talk every day about Santa, and the reindeer, and the North Pole, and she just eats it all up.

I asked her a couple of weeks ago what she thought Santa would bring for her this year. She immediately answered, "Bouncy balls!! A red one, an' a boo one, an' a geen one, an' a peeh one..." She has given that answer consistently, every single time she is asked.

I thought I was getting off easy - just find a couple of bouncy balls, and she'll be thrilled. Cheap and simple!

Ha.

I looked at Wal-Mart. No bouncy balls.

My mom looked at Wal-Mart. Nope.

I looked at Rite-Aid. Nada.

I looked at Walgreens. Uh-uh.

I looked at Kmart. Zip.

I looked at CVS...and wanted to leap over the counter and give the cashier a hug when I found packages of brightly colored bouncy balls for $1. I bought two packages.

So, many hours and $2 later, Santa will be bringing my girl the only thing she asked for. The look on her face Christmas morning when she sees her "boo an' geen an' red an' peeh" bouncy balls will be worth it.

And I'm now one of the crazy parents.

4 comments:

Lee, Michelle, Cooper 4 and Allie 3 said...

That's so funny!!! I just love it that bouncy balls are her treasure! Simple treasures are the best, I bet your bouncy ball play time with her will be her real gift!

ran said...

Very funny! Well at least it was only a $2. crazy-ness! And she will certainly love them. Bouncy balls never get old! Nor do we get too old for them. Bet you and James have a little fun with them too.

Lucky Mama (Little Rock Mamas) said...

Did you slug anyone for the bouncy balls? If not, you're not one of those parents -- at least not yet. :)

Zizika said...

nicely done!! so i don't have a child, but i was looking for a jacket for my dog a couple of weeks ago when old navy was having a 50% off sale. the only one they had in my dog's size was the one on the fake dog up front. so, what did i do? yup, took it off the fake dog and bought it!! =)