Twitter Pinterest Instagram Facebook RSS BlogLovin' Peace & Carrots Peace & Carrots Home About Me Contact Me Homeschooling Books Recipes Image Map

Monday, January 11, 2010

Open Ears

Some days, the demands of a 3-year-old seem constant and overwhelming. She wants this, she wants that, this is too hard, where are her cowboy boots, she needs a special book, but she doesn't want a banana...

I try to teach her to be patient, teach her to be kind, and teach her to be unselfish. I try to open her eyes to the needs and wants of others. I try to show her that serving others is much more rewarding and much more important than serving self. At times I feel defeated, because her grasp of concepts like these is fleeting at best.

But then I listen to what she's really saying.

"Mommy, will you play Cootie wif me?"

"Mommy, you color dis wif me."

"Mommy, I want to sit wif you!"

"Will you lay wif me, Mommy?"

"I need wots of hugs from my Mommy!"

What she needs most from me right now is time and love. Love and time. Loving time and timely love. Other lessons can and should be learned as we go.

But the greatest of these is love...

1 comment:

Megan {Velveteen Mind} said...

I just wrote a post about balance. It's all slathered with details about social media and complex concepts like "strategy."

What the post really says is what your post says to me: They want to be with us. They want us to see us. They want us.

They want to be "wif" us more than anything. And it's the least we can do.