Twitter Pinterest Instagram Facebook RSS BlogLovin' Peace & Carrots Peace & Carrots Home About Me Contact Me Homeschooling Books Recipes Image Map

Thursday, January 7, 2010

TILT: Care Packages for the Homeless

Typically, my "Things I Love Thursday" posts are about a product, something that I've discovered that really works well for us. I've posted about cleaners, baby products, toys, and other things. Today is a little different.

My mother-in-law is eccentric; I think she'd be okay with me saying that. One of the best things about her, though, is her compulsion to serve others. She is always taking food to someone, giving someone a ride here or there, or donating her time to church activities. When she hears of someone in need, she doesn't stop with, "Wow, that's a shame." Instead, she goes on to think, "What can I do to help?"

Nellie has a definite compassion towards people who are down-on-their-luck, especially the homeless. In an effort to help them, she has come up with a wonderful idea, one that I think we will start doing in our family, too. She makes little care packages for the homeless people that she sees standing along the roads, and she calls it "Touched by an Angel Ministries." The packages currently contain:
  • a bottle of orange juice
  • a pack of trail mix
  • peanut-butter or cheese sandwich crackers
  • little tub of applesauce
  • little tub of green beans
  • trial-size antibacterial gel
  • plastic fork & spoon, napkin
  • small copy of the New Testament
All of this is just tied up in a clean plastic bag, and just given to whoever is in need. She keeps these bags in her van at all times, so that she's ready to help out.

I think this is a great way to reach out and to be the arms of Christ to people in need. It would also open the door for helping people further, and for sharing the story of Jesus with them.

It's a thing I love.

For more Things I Love Thursday posts, visit The Diaper Diaries!

4 comments:

Tiffany @ Lattes And Life said...

My husband has often bought a fast food meal for the people he passes at intersections. Sadly, one guy took it and set it on the ground...with about three other sacks of food. As much as I have a heart to help, I had to encourage my husband to start directing his money towards organizations that provide meals for those who genuinely want them. It doesn't give us the warm fuzzies like directly helping someone does....but it's still helping...

Sandi said...

This is a great idea. We've thought about keeping McDonalds and Waffle House gift cards in the car for the same reason.

K @ Prudent and Practical said...

Stopping by from TILT! I really like this idea. In the four years that I've lived in this small Iowa town, I've never seen homeless people. Even traveling back home I do see them but they're a rarity. I'd love to implement this idea but I'm skeptical. Through the grapevine I know of someone who is making a full time income standing on major intersection begging. I recently found out that more than 1/2 the elementary students here are on free or reduced lunches - maybe there's a way I can help them?

thediaperdiaries said...

Love this!! I have thought about doing this so many times but have never actually done it. What a great ministry!!