Twitter Pinterest Instagram Facebook RSS BlogLovin' Peace & Carrots Peace & Carrots Home About Me Contact Me Homeschooling Books Recipes Image Map

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Works for Me Wednesday: Grocery List


Have you ever made a trip to the grocery store, only to discover on your return home that you forgot the toilet paper? The olive oil? The MILK?

When I was in college, we had a mini-whiteboard on the door of our dorm room, so all our friends could leave us messages. That thing got a workout; I even used it for practicing my structures for organic chemistry (yes, at one point in my life, I could write out the chemical structures for all 22 amino acids).

When I got married, I got another mini-whiteboard and put in on our fridge. It serves as a running grocery list. I write things down as we're about to run out, and use this to make the list that goes to the store with me. I've used the little magnetic notepad thingies before, but they aren't as easily-amendable as the whiteboard.

For example, the list reads: milk, butter, baby cereal, Kleenex, cat litter. I stop by the Target instead of the regular grocery store, and only buy milk and baby cereal, since everything else is a bit more expensive at Target than Kroger. When I get home, I can wipe off the milk and baby cereal from the list, leaving the rest intact for later. See?

That's what works for me. What works for you?

3 comments:

Hillary (Mrs. Einstein) said...

I use the magnetic note pad. I scribble off what I don't need anymore, and use the back of the paper to reorganize my list according to the store's layout. I like the white board idea, though. Unfortunately, so would my daughter. I'm not sure what would survive if she managed to get ahold of it.

btw--I like burnt marshmallows, too!

elaine@bloginmyeye said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Amie said...

Thanks for the idea -- I probably need to graduate up to a white board, because I'm using the very same concept of eliminating items as I get them, but currently it's on the back of one of my business cards on top of my dresser. Not nearly as functional...(-: