Twitter Pinterest Instagram Facebook RSS BlogLovin' Peace & Carrots Peace & Carrots Home About Me Contact Me Homeschooling Books Recipes Image Map

Sunday, December 2, 2007

Follow-Up to Free Kittens

So. We got home from church tonight around 7 p.m., and it was dark and very rainy. James was backing the van into the driveway when the headlights illuminated a small, wet form laying on the grass by the road. Uh oh.

Yes, the kitten that the neighbor "wanted to keep" had been hit, and was laying in a mud puddle, half-frozen but still (barely) alive. I told James to go get the neighbor to see what she wanted to do, as I was picking the kitten up to assess the damage. He got the neighbor, and her response was, "Well, I don't want to see it. It's just a cat." No questions about how bad it was, no offers to take responsibility, no nothing. "It's just a cat." What, so she would've just left it to die in the cold, wet mud puddle??

I brought the kitten inside, and dried it off and warmed it up. It was immediately apparent that it wasn't going to live; its back was broken and its abdomen was filling with blood. If I was still working, I would've rushed it to the clinic to put it out of its misery. Instead, knowing kitty wouldn't make it to an emergency call at the vet 15 miles away, I cuddled her in a towel, rubbing and cooing until she died in my arms.

I am so mad.

1 comment:

Susan said...

Oh this made me so sick! My sister has neighbors like this. For about three days she kept hearing what she thought was a kitten crying. She couldn't find it. Finally, she sent her husband and son under the deck and there, backed up against the foundation of the house, was a tiny, wet, scared kitten. They took him in, bathed him and started feeding him. He looks exactly like the obviously NOT neutered male cat that lives next door along with a bunch of other cats that they "own" and let run. No one ever asked if a kitten had been found. Presumably, they didn't notice and didn't care. My sister never mentioned it to them and Kitty-Kitty lives strictly indoors with Mary Sue, another stray cat my nephew brought home. What is wrong with people?

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I love meeting new travellers on this earthly adventure!

I went pre-vet in school. Didn't make it through for many reasons I'm still trying to deal with, but have passed my love of animals on to our daughter. We've limited our household to two dogs and one cat (for the moment!).

Susan