Twitter Pinterest Instagram Facebook RSS BlogLovin' Peace & Carrots Peace & Carrots Home About Me Contact Me Homeschooling Books Recipes Image Map

Saturday, June 14, 2008

Pizza/Pasta Sauce

About once a month, I make a giant Crock Pot full of pizza/pasta sauce. I then separate it into two big containers; one goes in the fridge for use immediately, and one goes in the freezer for future meals. It's great with pasta, and great as a pizza sauce. We use it quite often to make one of our quick favorites, English Muffin Pizzas - just some English muffins, this sauce, and shredded cheese and dinner is done!

If you try this, feel free to vary what you add - I don't make it the same way every time, but this recipe is what I did last time. We had it for dinner a few nights ago, on whole wheat rotini pasta, with some shredded mozzarella cheese - yummy!

A few recipe notes:
1. I forgot to write down the sizes of the cans I used. I hope my descriptions help.
2. I'm not a sausage fan, but the Bob Evans Italian sausage is very mild, and adds a really yummy flavor to the sauce.
3. Feel free to use a different meat or omit the meat altogether - I still think it'll turn out well.
4. I adjust the seasoning toward the end of cooking time - I think the acidity of the tomatoes might vary a bit, and so sometimes it needs a bit of sugar to even things out.

Pizza/Pasta Sauce
2 lb Bob Evans Italian Sausage
2 BIG cans of petite diced tomatoes, with juice
3 soup-sized cans of tomato sauce
3 soup-sized cans of tomato paste
2 Tbs Italian Seasoning

Crumble sausage & brown in a large skillet. Drain (or not); add to bottom of Crock Pot. Add diced tomatoes with juice, tomato sauce, tomato paste, and Italian seasoning. Stir well. Cook on high for 4-6 hours. Taste periodically and add sugar, salt, water, or whatever as needed.

For more great recipes, visit Saturday Stirrings!

2 comments:

Nichole said...

That's a great idea! My favorite spaghetti sauce is from "The Godfather." I've modified it a little bit:

"Godfather" Spaghetti Sauce
2 tbsp. olive oil
2-4 cloves garlic, chopped
2 large (28-ounce) cans tomatoes (crushed)
1 10-ounce or 2 6-ounce cans tomato paste
1 lb. cooked meatballs (use your favorite recipe)
Dry red wine
1/4 cup sugar

Heat the oil over medium heat in a large pot.
Add garlic and cook for a few minutes. Do not let the garlic burn.
Add tomatoes and tomato paste. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring continuously so that a relatively smooth consistence is reached.
Add meatballs. Stir until the meat is coated.
Add a splash of red wine, then the sugar according to taste.
Reduce heat to medium-low and let simmer for a minimum of 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent scorching.

Julie said...

Quick question - how long does it stay good in the fridge? In other words, how soon does it start growing that fuzzy stuff? I have a tendency to forget about things in my fridge...

Thanks! It sounds yummy!
Julie