Tuesday, August 26, 2008
WFMW: Vacationing on a Dime
Last week, James and I took our first real vacation - the only time we've taken a "vacation" and not spent the time visiting family or traveling back & forth for school. It was our 10th anniversary, so we wanted to have a great time; however, since we're in the middle of a Total Money Makeover and are still trying to pay off debt, we had to be careful with our plans.
Here's what we did:
1. Location: We found somewhere we wanted to go that was within a couple of hours. That means that our round trip cost us one tank of gas - not bad for vacation travel.
2. Accommodations: We splurged a bit on a hotel, and it was SO worth the money. It was very clean, our room was spacious and quiet, and the complimentary breakfast was great. (We definitely could have saved money by camping, but camping in the South in August = HOT. Not my idea of a good time.)
3. Activities: A few weeks leading up to our trip, I spent quite a bit of time researching area attractions, restaurants, ticket prices, etc. This enabled us to have a plan of attack, and we ended up pacing ourselves better and saving money with combo tickets.
4. Entertainment: In addition to the attractions we wanted to see, we also planned to go out to one movie. We also brought a couple of our Netflix DVDs to play on the laptop, and we rented two more movies from Blockbuster while we were gone. We also brought our Wii and hooked it up in the hotel; James and I love playing video games together. (I know, we're geeks.)
5. Food: Last but not least, the food. As I mentioned, our hotel had a great breakfast. Our room had a microwave & refrigerator, so we had one additional meal in our room every day. The daily food budget was $30, and by having a quick lunch or dinner in our room, we were able to eat out a couple of times at nicer places.
All in all, we had a great time. We did come in a bit over budget, but the tips I've shared definitely helped keep our costs as low as possible!
For more helpful tips, visit Works-For-Me Wednesday at Rocks in my Dryer!