Twitter Pinterest Instagram Facebook RSS BlogLovin' Peace & Carrots Peace & Carrots Home About Me Contact Me Homeschooling Books Recipes Image Map

Friday, September 19, 2008

Tilapia Tacos with Fresh Peach Salsa

I decided to walk on the wild side this week and make something totally, completely different from our usual fare. This recipe is one I stumbled across a month or so ago, and for some reason it intrigued me.

It was very easy to make, and definitely healthy. The peach salsa, in my opinion, could use some tweaking. The red onion was too strong. I think if I make the salsa in the future, I'll just use onion powder to taste - something about those raw onion bits is just too much.

The tilapia itself was fantastic. It was great in the tacos, and it was equally great as a leftover sprinkled with lemon juice. It's a little pricey, like all fresh fish, but definitely worth the expense for a special dinner.

Without further ado, here it is:




Tilapia Tacos with Fresh Peach Salsa
Salsa:
2 cups finely chopped peeled peach (about 2 medium)
1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro (I used parsley)
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 jalapeƱo pepper, seeded and finely chopped ( I omitted - we're wimps)
1 garlic clove, minced

Remaining ingredients:
1/2 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 pound tilapia, cut into 2-inch strips
Cooking spray
8 (6-inch) flour tortillas

To prepare salsa, combine first 8 ingredients in a medium bowl. Let stand 30 minutes at room temperature.

Preheat oven to 375°.

Combine panko, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a medium bowl. Add fish to bowl, tossing to coat. Place fish in a single layer on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 10 minutes or until desired degree of doneness, turning once.

Heat tortillas according to package directions. Divide fish and salsa evenly among tortillas.

You can find the original recipe, along with nutritional info, at Cooking Light.

(photo courtesy of Cooking Light)


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cooking Light recipes always seem onion-heavy to me.

Queen B said...

Yum. This sounds really good. But I might have to get someone else to make them for me. Lots of ingredients.... But they do sound fabulous!