Twitter Pinterest Instagram Facebook RSS BlogLovin' Peace & Carrots Peace & Carrots Home About Me Contact Me Homeschooling Books Recipes Image Map

Sunday, April 5, 2009

Oh, Be Careful, Little Ears...

I've always heard people say that young children are like sponges, soaking up all kinds of details of the world that surrounds them. I've seen it to be true now that I'm a parent; I will occasionally hear things that I say come out of my daughter's mouth, and it makes me pause.

One thing that I've become convicted about in the last several years is the kind of music we let into our lives. I love music, just about any kind of music, especially if I can sing along. But there were times I caught myself singing along, especially in the car, and realized I should not be singing those particular lyrics. Instead, we mainly listen to CDs in the car, and when we listen to the radio, it's our local Christian station.

And I'm glad, because the other day I was driving home from my parents' house, with Wendy in the backseat. I was singing along, as I love to do, not even really paying attention to the song.

From the backseat, a sweet 2 1/2 year old voice says, "Mama, what holy?"

I'm so glad we were listening to something good, and that she asked such a good question!

Here is what we were listening to:


I don't think I answered her question very well (how do you explain holiness to a toddler??) but we were able to have a teachable moment, and she's asked me a few times to sing that song for her.

4 comments:

Angela said...

That is such a sweet story. Aren't you glad for that conviction before she picked up some bad song lyric rather than after. You and james are doing such a great job with her.

Lindsey said...

What a good moment! I'm going to be having these decisions to make as well... I love how I feel when I'm listening to Christian music and that's what I want mainly in our lives.

Unknown said...

Oh yes. I said "crap!" the other day, and don't you know it, Ladybug repeated it! Yikes! I'm glad that's the worst word in my vocabulary.

We only listen to Christian music as well. I'd rather try to explain what holiness is than some of the lyrics in mainstream music.

Real Life Sarah said...

That is so sweet! You're right about them listening all the time! I was at the bank once, and made a mistake. I offhandedly called myself an idiot, and hours later my 5-yo said, "Mommy, why are you an idiot?"

Oops!