Twitter Pinterest Instagram Facebook RSS BlogLovin' Peace & Carrots Peace & Carrots Home About Me Contact Me Homeschooling Books Recipes Image Map

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

TTT: Staples


Every homemaker has their own list of "staples," personalized to their individual households. There are some obvious things that are universal - like toilet paper - but others aren't as common.

Since I'm heading to the grocery store this morning, I thought I'd share my Top Ten Staple Grocery Items for our household. (I'm only including fridge/pantry items.)

1. Milk - we have a 3 year old in the house, and she drinks at least two cups of milk a day. We go through it pretty quickly; in a few months, when David starts drinking milk, we might need to buy a cow.

2. Eggs - we eat a lot of eggs. They're cheap, healthy, and can be fixed so many different ways! My fall-back dinner for very rushed or poorly-planned nights is scrambled eggs & toast - which brings me to...

3. Bread - we try to use healthy whole-grain breads as much as possible. Occasionally we'll splurge & get a loaf of good-quality white bread, because it's yummy.

4. Peanut Butter - again with the 3 year old. James and I love peanut butter, too, but for Wendy, it's practically a food group. She LOVES peanut butter, and asks for it just about every day at some point.

5. Brown Rice - once I finally figured out how to make good brown rice, I started to prefer it to white rice. It does take longer to cook, but it's worth it for the added fiber.

6. Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts - those packages of individually-frozen chicken breasts are fantastic. I love that you can take them straight out of the freezer & put them in the oven, & they'll be great in about an hour.

7. Frozen Veggies (variety) - I love vegetables, and some of them are best frozen - green beans, peas, corn, and mixed veggies, especially. Keeping frozen veggies on hand makes it easy to add some to a casserole or soup, or to make a quick, healthy side or snack.

8. Petite Diced Tomatoes - great in soup, chili, stew, casseroles, spaghetti sauce, pasta salad, and many other things. They're especially good in the winter, when it's so hard to find good fresh tomatoes.

9. Fat-Free Cream Cheese - it's a great "secret ingredient" in lots of dishes - eggs, casseroles, mashed potatoes, anywhere that a bit of creamy tanginess is needed.

10. Fat-Free Sour Cream - one of our favorite weeknight meals is Beef Stroganoff, and it's fantastic made with fat-free sour cream; we can barely tell a difference from the full-fat version.

Those are some of the staple grocery items at our house; what kinds of things are staples for your family?

For more Top Ten Tuesday lists, visit OhAmanda.com!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Peanut butter and bread are staples here, too. Have you tried the Peter Pan whipped peanut butter? Yum!

We only have a 1/2 gallon of milk in the fridge right now, from a 4 week high of 4 gallons at one point! I definitely need to buy milk today.

Anonymous said...

Cheese and tortillas are a staple here. If we can't get Ben to eat anything else, I can usually get him to eat a "cheesy tortilla."

Bread flour is also a frequent add to our grocery list. I bake bread using a bread machine and we can go through A LOT of good quality bread fast.

Bananas and organic apples. My son will do practically anything to have a banana or an apple. We started buying organic apples when we realized the skin isn't supposed to taste bitter.

ohAmanda said...

Diced tomatoes fill my pantry! I don't even like tomatoes whole but they are in practically every other dish I DO like! :)

carrie said...

Many of the same items are staples but I will add noodles,cereal and caffine-free diet coke.