Twitter Pinterest Instagram Facebook RSS BlogLovin' Peace & Carrots Peace & Carrots Home About Me Contact Me Homeschooling Books Recipes Image Map

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Strength and Weakness

Replacing old destructive habits with new productive ones is not easy. Even when we know a change is for the best, those old habits nag at us and try to drag us down. Not everyone has the same set of bad habits, but we all have them.

I struggle with motivation - in pretty much every area of my life. Some times are easier than others; right now, I think things are going well. But in an instant, a few bad choices in a row, the space of an afternoon, I can lose my momentum and end up empty and unproductive. That inertia seems to feed on itself until it feels like the smallest task is monumental, like unloading the dishwasher or putting away the laundry is just too hard and I can't do it and why do I even try because I stink at everything.

My weakness is definitely in staying focused and motivated. But there is good news: I'm not alone. I don't have to rely on my own pitiful strength. There is One who is with me all the time, holding me up, giving me strength, showing me His promise and His hope. It's only through God that I can do anything - and through Him I can do anything!

But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." 2 Corinthians 12:9

1 comment:

Allie said...

I struggle with the same thing! What I've been trying to do is figure out how I can be productive in the time when I am feeling unproductive. Sometimes, for example, I have set chores set up for myself and I'll end up not doing anything because I know I should start by doing laundry and I just don't want to, so I don't do anything. I'm trying to look at it as, "okay, chances of me getting that laundry done are slim, but what do I feel like doing?" Sometimes, it's just bribing myself with a movie on Netflix while I sort paperwork and pay bills. But I totally understand what you're talking about, and it is difficult - especially factoring in the feeling bad for being like that to begin with. You are so completely not alone in this.