Twitter Pinterest Instagram Facebook RSS BlogLovin' Peace & Carrots Peace & Carrots Home About Me Contact Me Homeschooling Books Recipes Image Map

Thursday, January 17, 2008

Hard Day

Yesterday was a rough day. More than 500 people gathered together in our church building to celebrate and say goodbye to our minister's beloved wife, Evette Allison. There were many tears, hugs, and quite a bit of laughter as well. You can't remember a spunky little thing like Evette without laughing at some of the memories.

There are three things I will cherish from her funeral.

The first was a picture of her with her youngest child, Blake, taken this past fall. They were standing outside, and she was holding him up, cheek to cheek. His little squishy toddler face was grinning, her beautiful face was smiling, and her blonde hair was blowing in the wind. It's a fantastic picture, one that really captures how in love with her children Evette was.

The second is the image of Jason, Evette's husband, sitting on the front row rocking their 8 year old daughter back and forth to the music as the funeral was beginning. Just picturing that now makes me all teary-eyed.

The third is a song that played towards the end of the service. It was a song Jason had sung for Evette, and I think I had heard it was played at their wedding. It was "Would You Go With Me," a song I had not heard before. The lyrics were touching, but at the end of the song, they had recorded the two girls saying, "Bye, Momma. I love you, Momma." Two sweet, pure voices, expressing their love for the Momma they will always miss.

We'll all miss you, Evette. We'll take care of things down here as best we can and help Jason and the kids get through until they see you again.

8 comments:

Karla Cook @ Roads to Everywhere said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog. Come again soon!

Tiffany said...

Jeni,
My heart breaks for them. As much as I would have traded my life for Sydney, I would not have wanted her to grow up without a mother. We will continue to pray for their family. Please let us know if there is anything else we can do!

Unknown said...

Hi, Jeni. THanks for stopping by today. May I ask what caused your pastor's wifes death? How sad! I can't even comprehend it!

Unknown said...

Jeni,

I popped over to your blog and I want to say I'm sorry for the hard time your family (both at home and at church) have been going through. I hope for you some comfort over the next days.

Take Care and thanks for visiting my blog today!

:)
An Iowa Mom

BexInTheCity said...

Jeni... sorry to hear this. Was it a sudden loss?

carrie said...

We have to cling to the great memories!

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

So sorry to hear about her passing - sounds like it was a lovely service....

Thank you so much for remembering my question about the lasagna!! I was wondering how it turned out.

I really liked it but honestly didnt want to attack the leftovers cuz it was just TOO much.

I, too, will stick to my own!

Again, thanks for leaving the comment.

I'll be back to check out your blog often!

Hallie

Sandi said...

I'm so sorry, Jeni. I know that this is one of those really hard times -- my heart breaks for those left behind. Keep us updated.