Twitter Pinterest Instagram Facebook RSS BlogLovin' Peace & Carrots Peace & Carrots Home About Me Contact Me Homeschooling Books Recipes Image Map

Friday, May 15, 2009

A little bit of sadness...

As we were checking out at the doctor's office today, my phone rang with a number I didn't recognize. When I checked the voicemail, it was from a Good Samaratin - a Terminex guy in Fairview, TN, who found a terribly injured little dog with our phone number on the tags.

I knew it was Bella; we had Bella for about 7 years, and gave her away to a nice single mom & daughter this past February.

Soon we got a call from a vet in Fairview, letting us know that they had Bella & asking what we wanted to do about things. Bella had been attacked by another dog, and had serious abdominal injuries, possibly compromising her intestines. I ransacked my Gmail folder for the name & phone number of Bella's new owner; I didn't feel like I could authorize any kind of treatment, since she wasn't my dog anymore. I passed along the contact information, hung up the phone, and wondered for awhile how things were going.

About 30 minutes later, I got another call from the vet's office - they hadn't been able to reach the new owner, but they had taken a radiograph & Bella's back was broken. She was put to sleep.

It makes me sad. Bella no doubt brought it on herself - she was a tiny little trash-talking fury, and would bark & act aggressive around other dogs, even though she was only 5 pounds. But around people, she was gentle & sweet & silly. I hope the vet's office is able to reach the new owner, so that they'll at least know what happened to her.

3 comments:

Nicki said...

At least she didn't have to suffer too long while they wondered who she might belong to and what to do with her. It'a always a bummer to get bad news when you have a happy event coming up.

Amy said...

I'm sorry! That's very sad...she was a terribly cute dog.

Sandi said...

I'm so sorry, Jeni.