Twitter Pinterest Instagram Facebook RSS BlogLovin' Peace & Carrots Peace & Carrots Home About Me Contact Me Homeschooling Books Recipes Image Map

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

WFMW: Packing for Hospital

If you read my blog at all, you know that we'll be having a baby next Wednesday, if all goes according to the new plan. I spent some time this weekend getting a bag ready to take to the hospital, so that we're ready to go when the time comes.

Before beginning my packing, I asked around for suggestions of things to pack. We've been through this before, but when we had Wendy, I didn't do such a good job of packing. I took too much stuff to the hospital, and was missing some things I could have really used. Anyway, here's a compilation of suggestions from folks who are much smarter than I am:
  • 3-4 changes of comfy clothes, depending on how long you anticipate your hospital stay to be. Comfort is key!
  • Nursing bras if you're planning to breastfeed
  • Extra socks, comfy slippers
  • Light sweater, no matter the season - sometimes hospitals are COLD.
  • Toiletries. Don't forget some basics for your husband - he'd appreciate being able to brush his teeth.
  • Maxi pads. From what I remember, this is no time for the thin & trim styles!
  • Clothes for your husband if he's staying with you the whole time.
  • Chapstick & lotion - must stay hydrated!
  • A comfy pillow - can stay in the car if not needed
  • Camera/camcorder
  • Chargers for cell phones/camera/camcorder
  • Laptop and/or iPod if you're into that.
  • Light reading/crossword puzzles/sudoku book - nothing too heavy, but something to occupy your mind if you can't sleep or get bored with the TV!
  • List of people to call when baby arrives
  • Snacks - we're taking peanut-butter crackers & trail mix for between-meal munching.
  • Things for baby - two going-home outfits (just in case), socks/booties, hat, receiving blanket, Binkie, baby nail trimmers
  • Gift for older child or children - we have a baby doll for Wendy that looks a lot like a newborn baby. It even has hospital bracelets. When she first comes to see us in the hospital, she'll get her very own baby to take home with her - I think that'll help with the idea of a baby brother.
  • And don't forget to install that car seat! Can't take baby home without it!
Looking at this list, it sounds like a lot of stuff. It really isn't; ours is mostly packed into a smallish rolling duffle bag. Also keep in mind that my list is based on a scheduled C-section - I would imagine that if you're going through labor, you may want a few additional things.

Please, let me know in the comments if you have other suggestions! There's still some room in the duffle bag!

Being prepared for our hospital stay works for me. For more tips & ideas, visit Works-For-Me Wednesday at We Are THAT Family!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

A great list! I know I forgot to pack stuff for Hubby, but fortunately my mom was going back and forth between our house and the hospital, so she was able to grab what he needed from home.

Praying all goes well and that you are able to get some rest in the next few days! Looking forward to seeing Baby David!

Annikke said...

Let me also add that quarters for vending machines (for your husband mostly!) would come in handy too! My water with our first baby broke at 2:00 am (deli was not open) and by 4 or 5 am my husband was in need of a little snack while we waited through the contractions and he didn't have any change! So with baby number 2,3 and 4 we made sure to have vending machine money!!!

carrie said...

I would also add nail clippers fir the baby and mitts. Jackson's nails were very long and he has a scar where he scratched himself before my mom could get us clippers and he managed to get the mitts off. The hospital didn't have either.

carrie said...

it is for not fir. :)

Jeni said...

Carrie - thanks for reminding me about the nail trimmers! We've already got them in the bag, but I had forgotten to put them on the list.

Jenny said...

Hi. I was just surfing around some blogs, and I came across yours. It’s pretty nifty and I’m really enjoying my stay here. I’ve bookmarked your site for daily visits, and I hope you’ll visit me. I’d love to have you. :) Have a great day and I’ll see you around the blogosphere. :)